When I think of homemade Banana Bread, I think of my mom. It was one of many recipes that she love making for her family. I remember as a child my mom baking banana bread from scratch early in the morning. -And I always knew when she was baking because the smell would just linger throughout our home. With having a family of eight, she would bake three or four banana loafs at a time to make sure that there was enough to go around. I can’t even imagine how many bananas she must have had on hand in order to prepare the banana bread but boy oh boy, was it so delicious. Especially when it was still warm and fresh from the oven. We couldn’t resist!
Now that my mother has passed away, I often sit and think about her. Wishing that she could still be here with me. It makes me sad at times because she was one of my biggest supporters. She gave me so much motivation when it came to creating new recipes or suggesting new ideas. Because as that saying goes, mom’s know best!
So today, I want to share with you, my mother’s recipe for banana bread.
For this recipe, you will only need a few ingredients.
- Three Bananas (Ripen)
- Two cups of All Purpose Flour
- Two Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Butter (Melted)
Begin by preheating your oven to 400° degrees. Place 2 cups of all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Add one teaspoon of baking soda, a pinch of salt, and one cup of sugar. Mix the dry ingredients together.
Next, add two eggs beaten. Continue to stir and mixing. Pour and stir in 1/2 cup of melted butter and one teaspoon of vanilla extract. Take 1/2 cup of milk and add it to your batter. Stir by hand.
Making banana bread is so much fun! Oh yes, even for us adults, playing with our food never gets old. Just like mashing the bananas. I found using a fork is perfect for mashing. In fact, it’s so easy.
Take a small to medium size plate and mash three ripen bananas then add them to your batter. Mix well and combine all ingredients together.
Coat your loaf pan with cooking spray with flour. Pour immediately into your loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes.
Remove from your oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. I know there are many recipes out there for banana bread but for my mom’s banana bread recipe, it’s a must try. I’ve always loved quick bread that’s super moist and sweet. -And this one has it!
A Classic Banana Bread that has a buttery crust and moist center. It's a family favorite and so easy to make.
20 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- Three Bananas (Ripe)
- Two cups of All Purpose Flour
- One cup of Sugar
- One Pinch of Salt
- Two Eggs (Beaten)
- One Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- One Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup of Butter (Melted)
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
- In a large bowl,place 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Add one teaspoon of baking soda, a pinch of salt, and one cup of sugar.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Next, add two eggs (beaten). Continue to mix.
- Pour and stir in 1/2 cup of melted butter,one teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 cup of milk. Continue to stir the batter by hand.
- Mash three ripen bananas then add them to your batter. Mix well and combine all ingredients together.
- Coat your loaf pan with cooking spray with flour.
- Pour batter in your pan and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Remove your oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Banana bread is such a classic and a staple for most households. I honestly don’t think that I’ve met someone who hasn’t tried or doesn’t love it. It’s so versatile too. You can add chopped nuts, raisins, and other yummy fruits to it. For me, I love it just as is. Plain. I know back in the day my mom would put a pat of butter on a slice of warm banana bread and my siblings would spread cream cheese on top.
For me, just the buttery taste of the crust and moist center does it for me every single time.
So grab a cup of delicious coffee and a slice of mom’s banana bread. It’s definitely one way to remember your childhood or when you need to enjoy a little “me” time. Because I know, most moms need it.
So tell me, what is that one recipe that reminds you of your childhood?
I would love to hearing about them.
Latest posts by Michele (see all)
- Treat Yourself to MILKA OREO Chocolate Candy + Giveaway - May 17, 2017
- Moms deserve it all with goPure +Giveaway - May 8, 2017
- Fruit Shoot makes traveling easy- it’s my thing - May 7, 2017