It’s time to start thinking about those game day recipes. Let’s face it, the last thing we want to do on game day is to be stuck in the kitchen cooking. I know for myself, I’d rather be with my guests watching and rooting for our team. That is why I believe in quick appetizers. You can prepare them beforehand and cooked before your guests even arrive.
Just the other day when I was talking to my husband about our upcoming gathering, I told him that I wanted to create an everyday recipe that had tons of flavor but one that would be great to serve on game day.
Don’t get me wrong, we still love our spicy wings along with our cheesy seven layered dip and nachos but times are changing.
For us, delicious foods have always been a must to serve on game day. Some have involved shortcuts or even hacks. Especially those hand to mouth recipes. You know it’s going down if a fork is not needed. Heck, who has time to break out a fork and knife when the big game is on. So finger foods are a must! -Plus, your guests will love them.
That is when I knew my Chicken Spinach Florentine Braid would be the perfect tasty appetizer to serve during the big game.
Doesn’t this Chicken Spinach Florentine Braid look delicious? I will say, the flaky crust and taste of the garlic chicken with chopped spinach and tomato is amazing! But adding Havarti Cheese to this recipe gives my crowd a new love for football game foods. The combination of flavors is what separates this recipe from other bread braids that I’ve made in the past. It’s so good!
I began by chopping the spinach into small pieces. For this recipe, I used fresh spinach but you could also use frozen. Next, I diced my slicing tomatoes into small pieces. Place both ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
Next, chop your boneless chicken breast into small size cube pieces. You want the chicken to be small enough so you can easily fold the braid dough.
In a large skillet, add one tablespoon of vegetable oil and one tablespoon of minced garlic. Stir, then add the mixture of chopped spinach and tomatoes. Sprinkled a pinch of salt and pepper for taste. Simmer for 5 minutes on low to medium heat.
Stir and add your boneless chicken pieces in the ingredients. Continue to stir and cook the chicken until it’s no longer pink. Remove from heat.
If you find that you still have juices from the chicken left in your pan, feel free to drain some but not all. You want the flavors of the tomatoes, spinach, and garlic to sustain in the chicken.
Preheat your oven to 375° degrees.
Next, you will need pastry dough. To save some time in the kitchen I used premade pastry sheets for this recipe. You can find these pastry sheets in the freezer section at your local grocery store.
Lightly sprinkle all-purpose flour on a flat surface and began rolling the dough. For this recipe, I rolled my pastry dough into a 10″x 15″ rectangle. It’s the perfect size for making this game day food.
Take the short side of the pastry dough that’s facing you, begin scooping your mixture to the center the dough. Spread your chicken mix. Place three thin slices of Havarti Cheese on top of your chicken mix and begin rolling your pastry dough.
Once you have completed rolling, use a sharp knife and cut one inch slits on top of the dough. Now here is an idea, you can also slightly bend the dough for an horseshoe appearance. Take a pastry brush, and top your braid with your egg mixture before placing it in the oven.
Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Cut and serve warm.
Sunshine and Flip Flops by Michele Dickerson
- One Pastry Sheet
- Three Boneless Chicken Breast (Cubed)
- One Cup of Fresh Spinach (Chopped)
- Three Slices of Havarti Cheese
- Two Slicing Tomatoes (Chopped)
- One Tablespoon of Minced Garlic
- One Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- One Egg
- One Tablespoon of Water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add one Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil with one Tablespoon of Minced Garlic to pan.
- Place your chopped Spinach and Tomatoes into pan. Simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in cubed Boneless Chicken Breast with Spinach and Tomatoes.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and begin rolling your dough.
- With the short end of the dough facing you, add chicken mixture to the center and spread.
- Use a sharp knife and make four 1" slits in your pastry dough.
- Brush the pastry dough with egg and water.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and serve warm.
Game Day Appetizers
So if your looking for a tasty appetizer to serve on game day. This baby is it! Each bite is full of delicious flavors of Havarti cheese, garlic chicken, tomatoes and spinach. It’s scrumptious!
So tell me, What is one of your favorite appetizers to serve on game day?
Would love to hear your recipe ideas.
Latest posts by Michele (see all)
- Roasted Garlic & Cracked Black Pepper Pork Loin Gorgonzola Salad - May 26, 2017
- Treat Yourself to MILKA OREO Chocolate Candy + Giveaway - May 17, 2017
- Moms deserve it all with goPure +Giveaway - May 8, 2017