There is something about buttermilk biscuits that drive me insane. I’m totally crazy about them. I honestly don’t think there is a wrong or right way on how to prepare them but by golly these babies are good. Buttery biscuits in general are so easy to make but when you add one of your favorite appetizers in the middle, you really can’t go wrong.
Like my Cheesy Meatball Bombs, I’ve made them before for my family and they absolutely devoured them. Although this time around I decided to make them with biscuits. Nothing is more appetizing than buttery flaky crust biscuit. Trust me, you’re going to love them too!
So with the big game coming up, I wanted to share with you the perfect appetizer recipe for your big game watch party this weekend.
You will need a few ingredients to get you started.
For the Biscuits:
- Self-Rising Flour
- Buttermilk or milk
For the Meatballs:
- Ground Beef
- Parmesan Cheese
- Minced Garlic
- Italian Seasoning
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Shredded Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese
- Tomato Sauce or Marinara
I started preparing for my recipe by preheating my oven to 425° degrees and placing 2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour in a large bowl and stirring in 2 teaspoons of sugar. Using a fork, I cut 1/2 cup of softened butter (room temperature) into the flour mixture. Continue to stir until dry mixture is crumbly. Stir in one cup of buttermilk or regular milk. If you notice that the dough is still dry, you can add two additional tablespoons of buttermilk until you see the mixture form in the center of the bowl and away from the sides.
Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and remove your dough from the bowl. Knead the dough until it’s smooth. You can also roll the dough to an 1/2 inch thickness.
Next grab your handy biscuit cutter and press down to make your biscuits into round shapes. If you don’t have one, no biggie just use the rim around a glass cup. I absolutely love that hack and the biscuits always come out perfectly round. Once you’ve cut out your desired amount of dough circles, set them aside in your refrigerator until ready to use.
I previously prepared my meatballs a day before in the slow cooker so these babies were ready to go but if you plan on making them with this recipe then first grab a large bowl.
In a large bowl, add one to two pounds of ground beef. Add one large egg and mix together. Now add, one tablespoon of minced garlic, one tablespoon of parmesan cheese, one tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and half cup of Italian breadcrumbs. Blend all ingredients together. With using your hands, begin to roll the ground beef into balls. If you plan on cooking the meatballs in the oven, make sure your oven is preheated to 400° degrees. Bake for 20 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
As for me, I prepared my meatballs in a slow cooker on high heat. I placed one jar of tomato sauce then added my meatballs to the sauce. Super simple. Simmered for 4-5 hours.
After your meatballs are fully cooked, place them on a plate and cut them halves. When making Cheesy Meatball Bombs, make sure that your meatballs are smaller then your biscuit dough. If they’re larger it will make impossible to grip and pinch the dough to close it.
Take one round biscuit dough and place it on top of parchment paper. Now take one pinch of colby and monterey jack cheese and place it on top of the dough. Next take one half of a meatball and place it on top the cheese. Add a small piece of mozzarella cheese.
Begin to wrap your meatball dough by bringing each corner to the center. Tuck all of the edges in and place the seam side down in a baking pan or skillet. Baking them in a cast iron skillet would be ideal but whatever you have on hand would be great too.
Before we place these amazing meatball bombs in the oven, brush a little vegetable oil, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning on top.
Once you have garnished then off in the oven they go. Bake for 15-17 mins or until golden brown. Before removing them from the oven, spread soften butter on top and let them sit in the oven for 3 minutes. The remaining heat will melt the butter and they will be fabulous!
This is one amazing cheesy meatball big game recipe. -And one that your football fans will love.
1 hrPrep Time
5 hr, 20 Cook Time
6 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 1/2 cups of Self-Rising Flour
- 2 teaspoons of Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Softened Butter (room temperature)
- One cup of buttermilk
- One to two pounds of ground beef
- One large egg
- One tablespoon of minced garlic
- One tablespoon of parmesan cheese
- One tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup of Italian breadcrumbs
- One cup of shredded colby and monterey jack cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese (4 slices cut in 1/4 pieces)
- Tomato or Marinara
- Preheat oven to 425° degrees.
- In large bowl, place 2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour and add 2 teaspoons of sugar. Stir dry ingredients together.
- With using a fork, cut 1/2 cup of softened butter (room temperature) into the flour mixture. Stir until dry mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in one cup of buttermilk and blend until dough is formed.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and knead the dough until it’s smooth.
- With using a biscuit cutter or a glass rim cup cut the dough into circles and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, add one to two pounds of ground beef and one large egg. Mix together.
- Add, one tablespoon of minced garlic, one tablespoon of parmesan cheese, one tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and half cup of Italian breadcrumbs. Blend all ingredients together by hand.
- Begin to roll the ground beef mixture into balls. Bake for 20 minutes or cook in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours.
- Take a sheet of parchment paper and place down biscuit dough. Take a pinch of colby and monterey jack cheese and place it on top of the dough.
- Place one half of a meatball and place it on top the cheese. Add a small piece of mozzarella cheese.
- wrap your meatball dough by bringing each corner to the center. Tuck all of the edges in and place the seam side down in a baking pan or skillet.
- If desired, brush a little vegetable oil, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning on top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Before removing them from the oven spread soften butter on top and let them sit in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Serve with pasta or marinara sauce.
Cook time will vary between slow cooker and oven.
When I say that these Cheesy Meatball Bombs are awesome, I mean it. After a few they become very filling. Especially when you start dipping them into tomato or marinara sauce. They’re so tasty and addictive.
It’s like getting a secret cheesy meatball surprise in every single one. The kids love them, the adults drool over them. It’s a fan favorite and one that will help you cheer on your team this Sunday during the big game. -And do you know what else is pretty awesome about my Cheesy Meatball Bombs? You can totally reheat them. Which means, you can make them prior to the game and reheat them at half time. Simple, perfect, and yummy.
So tell me, what recipe will you be making during the big game this Sunday?
Latest posts by Michele (see all)
- Treat Yourself to MILKA OREO Chocolate Candy + Giveaway - May 17, 2017
- Moms deserve it all with goPure +Giveaway - May 8, 2017
- Fruit Shoot makes traveling easy- it’s my thing - May 7, 2017